Albert felt an early call to the priesthood, and was ordained in August 1861. Well educated, he taught science and catechism for twelve years. Chaplain and director of the Ursuline convent at Kempen in 1873. Director of the diocesan Apostleship of Prayer in 1874. Editor of a journal about missionary work in 1873.
In 1875 he established a missionary society called the Society of the Divine Word in Steyl, Holland; it received papal approval in 1901. The order, which soon had houses in Holland, Austria, and Germany, was composed of missionary priests who worked in Toga, New Guinea, Japan, Paraguay, and throughout North America.
In 1889, Albert founded the Missionary Sisters, Servants of the Holy Ghost to assist the priests in their mission. The Sisters serve as teachers in mission lands, especially of young girls. With the help of Blessed Maria Virgo, Arnold formed the sisters a contemplative branch named Sister Servants of the Holy Spirit of Perpetual Adoration who devote themselves to adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, and prayer for the success of missionary efforts. These sisters are nicknamed Pink Sisters because of the color of their habit.
1837 at Goch, Germany
15 January 1909 of natural causes
19 October 1975 by Pope Paul VI
5 October 2003 by Pope John Paul II