Digital items are available for download from your account as soon as your order is processed. Digital items are not returnable.
Nestled deep in the postcard-perfect French Alps, the Grande Chartreuse is considered one of the world’s most ascetic monasteries. In 1984, German filmmaker Philip Gröning wrote to the Carthusian order for permission to make a documentary about them. They said they would get back to him. Sixteen years later, they were ready. Gröning, sans crew or artificial lighting, lived in the monks’ quarters for six months—filming their daily prayers, tasks, rituals and rare outdoor excursions. This transcendent, closely observed film seeks to embody a monastery, rather than simply depict one—it has no score, no voiceover and no archival footage. What remains is stunningly elemental: time, space and light. One of the most mesmerizing and poetic chronicles of spirituality ever created, INTO GREAT SILENCE dissolves the border between screen and audience with a total immersion into the hush of monastic life. More meditation than documentary, it’s a rare, transformative theatrical experience for all.
The film will open 2/28 in New York and platform slowly and confidently around the country in the following months. The soundtrack to Into Great Silence includes the touching and amazing chants from the Monks that make up The Grande Chartreuse Choir.
1. Into Great Silence, film score: Matins. Introduction - Psalm 3 (fire, bell, scissors) (7:53)
2. Into Great Silence, film score: The beginner accepts his robe (fire, bell) (3:22)
3. Into Great Silence, film score: Introït. Veni, et ostende nobis faciem tuam (2:29)
4. Into Great Silence, film score: Offertory. Super flumina Babylonis (the thaw) (4:25)
5. Into Great Silence, film score: Vespers. Hymn (Saint Ambrose) - Psalms 144, 145 (the cows) (10:56)
6. Into Great Silence, film score: Pentecost Matins. Venite 8 - Reading: Exceprt from Saint Basil's (10:19)
7. Into Great Silence, film score: Corpus Christi. Canticle of Saint Ambrose and Saint Augustine (15:49)
8. Into Great Silence, film score: Matins & Lauds. Psalm 96 - Canticle of the Three Children (11:10)
9. Into Great Silence, film score: Salve Regina (slip in the snow) (4:20)
Catholic Digital Downloads for Sale 06/28/2010