- Sorry, this product cannot be purchased.
Thessalonians and Pastoral Epistles: Navarre Bible - Texts and Commentaries
Available on backorder
The Navarre Bible: Thessalonians and Pastoral Letters
The Navarre Bible, an edition of Sacred Scripture prepared by members of the Faculty of Theology of Navarre University, consists of the New Vulgate, the Revised Standard Version, and commentaries. The commentaries provide explanations of the doctrinal and practical meaning of the scriptural text, drawing on a rich variety of sources-Church documents, the exegesis of Fathers and Doctors, and the works of prominent spiritual writers, particularly the Venerable J. Escriva, who initiated the Navarre Bible project.
"We heartily and strongly recommend this splendid volume [St Mark]. It is just what so many have been waiting for"
– Wm. G. Most, Homiletic & Pastoral Review.
"It has appeal for the specialist as well as general readership, as much of the commentary consists of a selection of the most interesting observations from two thousand years of scholarship"
– Catholic WeeklyN.S.W.,
"This [Acts] is a superb volume for adult Bible study as well as college and university work; most helpful, enlightening and fascinating"
– David Liptak, Catholic Transcript, Hartford, Conn.
"What I find most useful in this edition is its attitude to Scripture. The Gospels are presented unambiguously as the inspired work of God and, with the help of the commentaries, we are introduced to two thousand years of contemplative Christian reading and living of the sacred word. This edition is both prayerful and, in the true sense of the word, scholarly"
– Andrew Byrne, Osservatore Romano (English edition).
"It is refreshing to come across a non-technical commentary which … seeks to expound the Word of God according to the accumulated wisdom of the Church. Most people desiring to understand better the scriptures are looking for something that will deepen their reverence for the Word of God, help them apply it to their daily lives, and move them to prayer"
– Stephen Langridge, Faith Magazine.
- Preface and Preliminary Notes
Introduction to St. Paul's Letters to the Thessalonians
- The city of Thessalonica
- How the letters came to be written
- Place and date of composition, and addressees
- Pauline authorship
- The preaching of the Gospel
- The foundations of faith and morality
- The First Letter of Paul to the Thessalonians: English version, and notes
- The Second Letter of Paul to the Thessalonians: English version, with notes
Introduction to the Pastoral Letters
- Canonicity and authenticity
Introduction to the First Letter to Timothy
- The Church of Ephesus
- The First Letter of Paul to Timothy: English version, with notes
- Introduction to the Second Letter to Timothy
- The Second Letter of Paul to Timothy: English version, with notes
- Introduction to the Letter to Titus
- The Letter of Paul to Titus: English version, with notes
New Vulgate Text
- 1 Thessalonians
- 2 Thessalonians
- 1 Timothy
- 2 Timothy
- Explanatory Notes
- Headings added to the Biblical Text
- Sources quoted in the Commentary