What is a “Catholic” approach to interpreting the Bible? What makes for good, sound biblical scholarship? What is the “fourfold sense” of Scripture and how does it relate to understanding the Bible? What perspective and insight does Saint Thomas Aquinas provide for studying the Bible? What is the place of Scripture in Church Teaching? Scott Hahn answers these and many more questions, providing a foundation for a Catholic approach to Scripture.
"Scripture Matters is a masterful guide to reading and understanding the Bible – a work that combines intelligence and depth with a wonderful readability. Dr. Hahn's chapters on historical criticism, the Real Presence and the place of Scripture in Catholic teaching are worth reading again and again."
– Most Rev. Charles J. Chaput, O.F.M., Cap., Archbishop of Denver
"Scott Hahn has done it again! Through a collection of challenging and fascinating essays on biblical matters he has prepared our minds and hearts to be open to the Holy Spirit at work in the life-giving Word of God."
– Rev. Msgr. Stuart W. Swetland, Director, The Newman Foundation, University of Illinois
"Dr. Hahn has provided in Scripture Matters an invaluable series of essays that will not only help to keep students of Sacred Scripture on track, but also give them a sense of certitude concerning the Church's long-standing tradition of interpretation. After reading Scripture Matters, you will jump into Scripture study with a renewed zeal. Dr. Hahn's excitement for Scripture will rub off on you – get ready!"
– Jeff Cavins
- Chapter 1 – Returning to Our Senses: Reading the Bible from the Heart of the Church
- Chapter 2 – Scholars and Sense: What Makes for Good, Sound Biblical Scholarship?
- Chapter 3 – Family Ties: If You Want to Know the Faith, Look Homeward
- Chapter 4 – The Angelic Doctor and the Good Book (Or, Should Old Aquinas Be Forgot…?)
- Chapter 5 – “Search the Scriptures”: Reading the Old Testament with Jesus, John, and Thomas Aquinas
- Chapter 6 – Passionately Loving the Word: Putting Scripture to Work with Saint Josemaria
- Chapter 7 – Going on Vocation: Why Fathers are Priests and Priests are Fathers
- Chapter 8 – Indecent Exposure: The Unadulterated Truth about Mercy and Judgment
- Chapter 9 – The Hour is Coming: How Should We Read the Signs of the Times?
- Chapter 10 – Come Again? The Real Presence as Parousia
- Chapter 11 – The Bible Politicized: The Roots and Fruits of Historical Criticism
- Chapter 12 – “O Wondrous Depths!”: On the Unique Importance and Relative Primacy of Scripture