Parish Book of Chant: 2nd Edition
Availability: 1 in stock (can be backordered)
A valuable new resource for every parish in America!
The Parish Book of Chant is published by the Church Music Association of America as a unique resource for choirs, priests, families, and congregations who seek to sing and understand the universal musical tradition of Catholic people. It is a hardbound volume, 182 pages, with a very beautiful cover and outstanding print quality. It has been developed with the hope of bringing to life what the Second Vatican Council called a “treasure of inestimable value,” which is our Gregorian tradition of song.
Listen to an audio description of the book from the editor. (QuickTime or some other mp3 player required)
It is compiled and expertly typeset by Richard Rice (Communio) with the assistance of the CMAA and many people involved in sacred music in the United States.
“The Parish Book of Chant is the answer to a church musician’s prayer!” Sacred Miscellany.
- It contains a complete order of Mass for both the Ordinary form of the Roman Rite and the Extraordinary form, in side-by-side Latin and English. The Ordos include the sung responses of the people and celebrant. In this respect, it serves as an ideal resource for parishes that use both forms or simply hope to emphasize the relationship between them.
- It contains a large Kyriale, which is a collection of chants that make up the “ordinary” of the Mass: Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei. These are the main sung parts of the Mass that are used throughout the year and the parts that all people are invited to learn and sing. This includes the four full Credos in addition to many Mass settings that have been beloved for the dominant part of Catholic history all over the world.
- It collects 71 Latin chants, with English translations, that are for occasional use in Mass in various seasons of the year, such as hymns for Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Pentecost, as well as Marian hymns and chants for funerals and other occasions. These are hymns that constitute the most serviceable of the repertory, have inspired composers for 10 centuries, and have been in the minds and hearts of Catholics for generation after generation.
- All music is set on four-line staffs with newly typeset neumes that make the music crystal-clear for singing. The music also includes the traditional Solesmes markings to assist in rhythmic understanding
- It includes a tutorial on singing chant that is invaluable for the beginner and can also teach the more advanced singer. It teaches understanding of signs, melodies, style, rhythms, and modes, all in a very brief section at the back of the book.
These features were chosen with the parish experience in mind. There is no existing resource that combines them into a single volume: the Mass, the people’s music, tutorial, and translations. Again, this is not a reprint but a newly created book that offers the core of the people’s Gregorian music. This book could be the most valuable resource yet produced to help Gregorian chant assume its “pride of place” in Catholic liturgy.
- See the Table of Contents.
- See a sample of Ordinary Form ordo.
- See a sample of Extraordinary Form ordo.
- See a sample of Ordinary chants.
- See a sample of chant hymns.
It is our sincere hope that this book will make possible the full integration of Gregorian chant, as sung by the people, into both forms of the Roman Rite in English-speaking countries.
Still not convinced?
If you are a pastor or belong to a parish choir, you can fill out our review copy request form and get a free copy to look at for a month! The only cost to you will be shipping it back if you don’t want to keep it.
We urge you to get your copies now, at the special introductory price and while supplies last. Begin to restore the Sacred Music of the Church in your parish today.
Bulk discounts are available for parishes and other organizations. Call 866-428-2820 toll-free and ask about them today.
|Dimensions||.5 × 6.125 × 9.25 in|