John Henry Cardinal Newman: In My Own Words
Compiled and edited by Lewis Berry C.O.
Celebrate the September 19, 2010 beatification of Cardinal Newman with this wonderful, concise collection of some of his most inspiring writings.
This timely compilation of John Henry Cardinal Newman's own words on a wide variety of subjects will inspire readers to live an authentic Christian life. Brother Berry's careful selections convey the heart of Newman's teachings, story, and spirit, deepening your familiarity with this saintly and influential man of God. As an Anglican priest, Newman led the Oxford Movement that sought to return the Church of England to its Catholic roots. His conversion to Catholicism in 1845 rocked Victorian England. After becoming an Oratorian priest, he was involved in the establishment of the Birmingham Oratory.
In 2008, the Vatican approved the beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman, the nineteenth century convert and theologian who has had an immense impact upon English-speaking Catholicism. Canonization would make Cardinal Newman the first English person since the seventeenth century to be officially recognized as a saint by the Church. Pope Benedict XVI will beatify Cardinal Newman during his pastoral visit to England in September 2010.
Table of Contents
1. The Reality of Sin and Evil
2. Faith and Reason
3. Conscience and the Teachings of the Church
4. Conversion to Christ
6. The Christian Life
7. The Church in a Changing World
8. God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit
9. The Mass and the Sacraments
10. Our Lady, the Saints and Heaven
11. Doctrine and Its Development
12. Catholic Education, Politics, and History
Br. Lewis Berry, C.O. is a member of Newman's oratory in Birmingham, England, and is part of the organizational team for the canonization of Cardinal Newman.
"This wonderful collection of extracts from Newman's writings is the ideal introduction to his thinking – I recommend it warmly" – Fr. Ian Kerr, Professor of Theology, Oxford University, and Newman scholar.
Recently Viewed Products
- John Henry Newman: Selected Sermons: The Classics of Western Spirituality $29.95
- The Poems of John Henry Newman, Afterwards Cardinal $33.95
- The Rule Of Our Warfare: John Henry Newman And The Call To Holliness $9.95
- St. Joseph Silver Visor Clip $18.99
- St. Joseph of Cupertino Silver Finish Visor Clip $19.25
- St. Isidore the Farmer Silver Finish Visor Clip $19.25