The Navarre Bible: The Gospel According to St. John
This edition of Sacred Scripture prepared by members of the Faculty of Theology of Navarre University, consists of the Revised Standard Version and commentaries. The commentaries provide explanations of the doctrinal and practical meaning of the scriptural text, drawing on a rich variety of sources-Church documents, the exegesis of Fathers and Doctors, and the works of prominent spiritual writers, particularly Saint Josemaria Escriva, who initiated the Navarre Bible project.
"We heartily and strongly recommend this splendid volume [St Mark]. It is just what so many have been waiting for"
– Wm. G. Most, Homiletic & Pastoral Review.
"It has appeal for the specialist as well as general readership, as much of the commentary consists of a selection of the most interesting observations from two thousand years of scholarship"
– Catholic WeeklyN.S.W.,
"This [Acts] is a superb volume for adult Bible study as well as college and university work; most helpful, enlightening and fascinating"
– David Liptak, Catholic Transcript, Hartford, Conn.
"What I find most useful in this edition is its attitude to Scripture. The Gospels are presented unambiguously as the inspired work of God and, with the help of the commentaries, we are introduced to two thousand years of contemplative Christian reading and living of the sacred word. This edition is both prayerful and, in the true sense of the word, scholarly"
– Andrew Byrne, Osservatore Romano (English edition).
"It is refreshing to come across a non-technical commentary which … seeks to expound the Word of God according to the accumulated wisdom of the Church. Most people desiring to understand better the scriptures are looking for something that will deepen their reverence for the Word of God, help them apply it to their daily lives, and move them to prayer"
– Stephen Langridge, Faith Magazine.
- Preface and Preliminary Notes
- Introduction to the Gospel according to John
- The author
- The relationship between the Gospel of John and the Synoptic Gospels
- St. John the apostle
- The structure and content of the Fourth Gospel
- Doctrinal content
- The Blessed Trinity
- The Sacraments
- The Blessed Virgin Mary
- The Gospel according to John: English version, with notes
- New Vulgate Text
- Explanatory Notes
- Headings added to the Biblical Text
- Sources quoted in the Commentary