Catholic Traditions & Treasures: An Illustrated Encyclopedia
Availability: 1 in stock (can be backordered)
New converts and cradle Catholics alike are often perplexed by the myriad of devotions, traditions, practices, and beliefs that the Catholic Church has accumulated over the past twenty centuries. Why pray to St. Anthony to find something lost? Why keep a St. Christopher medal in your car? Or why bury a statue of St. Joseph — upside down! — in your yard when selling your house?
In Helen Hoffner’s lovingly-illustrated, encyclopedic Catholic Treasures and Traditions, you’ll find succinct – and sometimes amusing – answers to these and hundreds of other questions. This delightful book explains the origin and nature of most of the common traditions of the Catholic Faith, as well as the source and meaning of many of the quaint and obscure ones.
From Forty Hours to First Fridays and from Holy Hours to Holy Days, you’ll find in these pages an informative, delightful compendium of the Catholic way of life, including information about:
* Advent Calendars * Icons * Jesse Trees *
* Novenas * Penance * Prayers for the Dead *
* Crucifixes * House Blessings * Prayer Corners *
* Relics * Stations of the Cross * The Sacraments *
* Religious Orders * The Holy See * The Roman Curia *
* St. Francis Statues * Bathtub Madonnas * Holy Cards *
* The Sacred Heart * The Liturgical Year * Holy Days *
* First Fridays * Votive Candles * Religious Medals *
* Marian Apparitions * Vestments * Divine Mercy *
* The Divine Office * Holy Oils * Genuflecting *
* The Angelus * Litanies * Patron Saints *
and much more to acquaint you with the many wonderful treasures and traditions of the Catholic Faith!