While buying Father's Day cards at the local Hallmark store, I was struck by two cards that point to the ongoing trend in our society that can really only be described as anti-Father.
The first card said “I have a great idea. Let's not have anymore kids.” On the inside it said. “See, I'm a genius!”. The second card was a card for a single mom thanking her for being both a mother and father to her kid(s).
These cards are just a couple more anecdotes that show a general antipathy towards fathers. If you haven't been paying attention for the last decade or so, there are plenty of other examples:
- Can you name a tv show where the men aren't a bunch of cads, fools or dumber than their kids?
- Can you name a tv or radio ad where the woman and kids aren't the smart ones who save bumbling dad?
- The entire radical feminist movement is geared towards the destruction of fatherhood and aims to paint men as the basic problem with society.
- Britain just passed a law that implicitly declared fathers irrelevant in the child rearing process.
- Even our welfare system has long been geared towards fatherless homes where the mom and kids lose benefits if mom is married and dad lives with them.
- Magazines and newspapers have repeatedly published articles asking if men are even necessary to make children anymore.
Apart from these things, the concepts of chivalry, honor, and self-sacrifice have become things to mock and dismiss as archaic. Can you imagine the snickering that would be elicited by a man expressing the sentiment of Richard Lovelace:
To Lucasta, going to the Wars
TELL me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
That from the nunnery
Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
To war and arms I fly.
True, a new mistress now I chase,
The first foe in the field;
And with a stronger faith embrace
A sword, a horse, a shield.
Yet this inconstancy is such
As thou too shalt adore;
I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not Honour more.
Could such a notion even be profered today as a noble thing? If the divorce, abandonment, abuse and out of wedlock birth rates are any indications, not likely. Feminists have succeeded in tearing down the societal structures that chanelled the natural impulses of men into more responsible directions. And to think, that those very structures that feminists scorn for being archaic and anti-woman were created by MEN to make a better society.
If you are a guy who would like some practical advice on how to be a better father or know someone who needs to “man-up” and quit acting like an irresponsible bohemian teenager, I suggest just about anything written or recorded by Steve Wood, founder of the St. Joseph Covenant Keepers.
If you own a store and don't have an account with Family Life International, it's time to set one up and start helping men be real men and better fathers.
He lives with his lovely wife and eleven kids in northern Colorado.
Latest posts by Ian (see all)
- St. Margaret Mary Alacoque and the Sacred Heart - October 16, 2018
- Our Lady's Victory at the Battle of Lepanto - October 7, 2018
- A Guide to Catholic Books and Bibles: Tips on Teaching Children about Catholicism - October 6, 2018