At Aquinas and More we have always had a policy that we will only carry product that is true to Catholic teaching. Why carry product that undermines the Church unless you want to destroy your own business? Could you imagine Coke or Pepsi selling literature or sending out spokesmen that praise the competition as being just as good as their product or mislead people about what their product is? For some reason there are wildly popular authors who do just that within the Catholic Church.
One such author is Richard Rohr. He is a staple for St. Anthony Messenger Press and gives retreats across the country. I'll be blunt. Fr. Rohr's ideas about salvation are heretical. He just published a new book, Why Be Catholic, which I spent some time looking through. I may have missed it, but amid all of the talk about the need for community and the Church's position on social justice I couldn't find anything about Truth or salvation. It seems to me that any discussion of “Why be Catholic”? needs to start and end with salvation and Truth. Otherwise, the Church is just a social club like the Elks.
Here are some links explaining Father Rohr's “theology”. Richard Rohr is a new-age heretic who wraps his heresy in biblical quotes. Here are some samples:
- Denial of hell, dismissal of “the fetus”, caricature of pro-lifers, caricature of people who go to confession (article now removed from Fr. Rohr's website)
- Approves of homosexual activists groups and was reprimanded by the bishop of Albuquerque for co-presiding at a lesbian wedding.
- Serious theological problems with his writings
Latest posts by Ian (see all)
- Love endures all things . . and never fails. St. Valentine's Day is February 14. - February 14, 2017
- The Tenth Day of Christmas – The Holy Name of Jesus - January 3, 2017
- The Fifth Day of Christmas – Feast of St. Thomas Becket - December 29, 2016