The month of July is dedicated to the Precious Blood. The feast of the Precious Blood of our Lord was instituted in 1849 by Pius IX, but the devotion is as old as Christianity. The early Fathers say that the Church was born from the pierced side of Christ, and that the sacraments were brought forth through His Blood.
The New Testament
Catholic doctrine teaches the faithful that the blood of Jesus Christ is part of His Sacred Humanity and hypostatically united to the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity.
• And as such, it is worthy of adoration and veneration proper to latreutical worship (cultus latriae) which is rendered only to God. In other words, we adore the human nature of Christ because of its intimate and eternal union with the Person of the Divine Word.
• It is for this same reason that we honor the Most Sacred Heart or the Wounds of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
The Devotion to the Precious Blood
This devotion is one of the most ancient of pious Church practices. Outside of Sacred Scripture, the first mention of the Precious Blood was by Pope St. Clement I, dated about 96 A.D. “Let us fix our gaze on the Blood of Christ and realize how truly precious It is, seeing that it was poured out for our salvation and brought the grace of conversion to the whole world.”
There are seven blood-sheddings of Our Divine Savior:
1. The Circumcision
2. The Agony in the Garden
3. The Scourging at the Pillar
4. The Crowning with Thorns
5. The Way of the Cross
6. The Crucifixion
7. The Piercing of His Heart
Saint Paul has been called the Doctor of the Precious Blood owing to his evident fondness to preach on the subject in his epistles (Romans 3:25; Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 9:12). Many Saints were devoted to the Precious Blood such as Saint John Chrysostom, Saint Austin, Saint Gertrude and Saint Catherine of Sienna, who has been Prophetess of the Precious Blood for putting emphasis on it as the solution to the ills of her times.
The Precious Blood makes us appreciate more Christ’s redemption of mankind, His sacrifice and Passion. It also makes us comprehend the beautiful doctrine and the august realities of the Blessed Sacrament as we kneel in front of the tabernacle in humble adoration.
Latest posts by kenneymg (see all)
- St. Josemaria Escriva, Priest and Founder of Opus Dei - June 26, 2017
- June is the Month of the Sacred Heart - June 23, 2017
- St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher, Martyrs against tyranny - June 22, 2017