Interviews today with Brandon Vogt, author of The Church and New Media and Vinny Flynn, author of 21 Ways to Worship about how to participate in Eucharistic Adoration. Also, what you can do for the Year of Faith.
Feast of the Day
Today is the feast of St. Thomas of Villanova. St. Thomas was born in 1488 in Castille Spain and joined the Augustinian Friars in 1516 and was ordained two years later. In spite of a poor memory he became the Provincial of the Friars and sent the first Augustinians to the New World.
The emperor of Spain nominated him to become the bishop of Granada but he refused until he was ordered by the Pope in 1544.
During his life he was a great friend to the poor, and in spite of his position, lived in poverty, wearing the same habit for years. He fed hundreds of poor daily from his home and encouraged the wealthy of Granada.
He died right after Mass in 1555 in Valencia, having requested that all of his money be given to the poor.
He was canonized in 1658 by Pope Alexander VII and is frequently depicted in art as a bishop giving alms to the poor.
Upcoming Liturgical Celebrations
Other upcoming feasts include:
- Our Lady of Ransom (Sep 24)
- St Isaac Jogues (Sep 26)
- Sts. Cosmas and Damian (Sep 27)
- St. Wenceslaus (28)
- St. Michael the Archangel (Sep 29)
The Year of Faith and what to do about it
We would love to hear what you are doing to celebrate so please leave us ideas, at 719-235-5045.
Some of the ideas suggested by the Church include:
- Read Porta fidei about why the Year of Faith was created
- Read the Catechism 20th anniversary – http://www.flocknote.com/catechism
- Participate more deeply in the liturgy – buy a missal or Magnificat
- Study the documents of Vatican II – it's the 50th anniversary
- Hold parish missions – boot camp for strengthening your Faith
- Evangelize! Learn apologetics
After the break, you'll get to listen to the interviews I did at the Catholic Marketing Network Trade Show with Brandon Vogt, author of The Church and New Media
Coming up next time…
Next week Would You Date You? – a new book by Anthony Buono, founder of Ave Maria Singles and Holy Heroes the producers of the Glory Stories of the saints for children.
He lives with his lovely wife and eleven kids in northern Colorado.